Pomegranate is an good source of antioxidant vitamin-C, provides about 17% per 100 g of the daily requirement. Consumption of fruits rich in vitamin-C helps the body develop ability to combat infectious agents by boosting immunity.it carries about 83 calories per 100 grams; slightlymore than that of in the apples. It contains no cholesterol or saturated fats.extensive use in treat- ing obesity and respiratory diseases.
Regular consumption of pomegranate has also been found to be effective against prostate cancer, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), diabetes, and lymphoma.
Further, it is an also good source of many vital B-complex groups of vitamins such as pantothenic acid (vitamin B- 5), folates, pyridoxine and vitamin-K, and minerals like calcium, copper, potassium, and manganese.
It is a good source of soluble and insoluble dietary fibers; providing about 4 grams per 100 g (about 12% of RDA). Dietary fiber aid in smooth digestion and bowel movements.Nutritionists often recommend pomegranate in the diet to reduce weight and control cholesterol. Regular inclusion of fruits in the diet boosts immunity, improves circulation and offers protection from cancers.
Pomegranate seeds get their vibrant red hue from polyphenols. These chemicals are power ful antioxidants.Pomegranate juice contains higher levels of antioxidants than most other fruit juices.
It also has three times more antioxidants than red wine and green tea. The antioxidants in pomegranate juice can help remove free radicals, protect cells from damage, and reduce inflammation.
● Cancer prevention
Pomegranate juice recently made a splash when researchers found that it may help stop the growth of prostate cancer cells.
● Alzheimer's disease protection
The antioxidants in the juice and their high concentration are believed to stall the progress of Alzheimer disease and protect memory.
Pomegranate juice can reduce inflammation in the gut and improve digestion. It may be beneficial for people with Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, and other inflammatory bowel diseases.
● Pomegranate juice is a powerful anti-inflammatory because of its high concentration of antioxidants. It can help reduce inflammation throughout the body and prevent oxidative stress and damage.
● Flavonols in pomegranate juice may help block the inflammation that contributes to osteoarthritis and cartilage damage.
● Pomegranate juice is in the running as the most heart-healthy juice. It appears to protect the heart and arteries.
Small studies have shown that the juice improves blood flow and keeps the arteries from becoming stiff and thick. It may also slow the growth of plaque and buildup of cholesterol in the arteries.
● Drinking pomegranate juice daily may also help lower systolic blood pressure.
● Between the vitamin C and other immune-boosting nutrients like vitamin E, pomegranate juice can prevent ilness and fight off infection.
Sexual performance and fertility
● Pomegranate juice's concentration of antioxidants and ability to impact oxidative stress make ita potential fertility aid. Oxidative stress has been shown to cause sperm dysfunction and decrease fertility in women.
Effects on Diabetes
● Pomegranate was traditionally used as a remedy for diabetes in the Middle East and India. Whilemuch is still unknown about the effects of pomegranate on diabetes, it may help decrease insulin resistance and lower blood sugar.